Saturday, July 12, 2014

Exploring Roles in the ECE Community

This week I have been exploring ECE Community roles at the local, state, national, and international level. There are many beneficial agencies and organizations that foster the well-being of children and families. The ones listed below are the ones I chose to post.

The National Center for Children in Poverty is an organization that was founded in 1989.This center is dedicated to promoting health, security, and the well-being of America’s low-income families and children. This organization has a goal of ensuring positive outcomes for the next generation. Among the visions for the organization include building family economic security, nurturing families, and healthy child development. This site provides a wealth of resources about poverty. When looking at the state profiles, you are able to choose any state and view the demographic profiles and statics about children living in families with low incomes. I did not see any current job opportunities; however I think it would be very beneficial being involved with this organization even if only as a volunteer.

http://www.nccp.org/about.html

United Way is an organization that helps children and families in various ways. Providing food, clothing and shelter touches on the surface of the many needs they are involved in. One job in particular I that caught my interest is the Director of Community Impact. Community investment is a major job responsibility for this position, as well as, coordinating collaborative efforts between United Way, partner agencies and other community organizations. On the local level, there are many ways to be involved by volunteering. United Way partners with food banks and shelters in helping to meet the needs of many struggling families. Since this is my passion along with my challenge, I would love to work on a volunteer basis.

http://unitedwayroane.org

Hands of Mercy is a food bank located in my town. This organization is in partnership with the local police department, area schools, and a variety of churches. After speaking with the director, I knew I wanted to sign them on to my team. Once a week people from our area are able to visit the site and receive food for their family. This will be an excellent resource for the struggling families I serve. Receiving food once a week will be an amazing and much needed resource for these families. I was not able to find out about any particular jobs however; once again volunteering would be a pleasure.

http://www.handsofmercy.com

4 comments:

  1. Hi Amy, I really enjoyed your post about your three organizations. The one that interest me was the one United Way because we need to support the families that are in need of clothes and food. That is my passions on helping other that are in need of help. I hurt me when I see families need help so I go out my way to help them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Amy,
    I agree with you that there are many beneficial agencies and organizations that foster the well-being of children and families. You did a great job description for these three organizations. I never heard of Hands of Mercy and I love how they people from your area are bale to visit the site and receive food once a week for their families. I feel as though it would be a good ideal to volunteer with this organization. Thanks for sharing.
    LaCasa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy,
    I think the United Way is a great organization. Our local United Way Executive Director retired last month after serving for many years. There were many qualified candidates to step in and take over the responsibility. We have an organization in our community called Operation Blessing. One lady had the dream to help those in need. She started out very small-scale several years ago. Today she has grown her not-for-profit organization much larger. Operation Blessing provides food, clothing, furniture, help with utilities etc. It is amazing how one person can make such a huge difference in the lives of so many (of course she now has help, but it was her vision).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Amy,
    I enjoy reading about your three organizations. All three sound very interested and I would love to be a part of an organization that is there for helping individual transition to a better place.
    Sophia

    ReplyDelete